Sunday, June 10, 2012

Imjingak and Dora Mountain Station

     Dave and I are finally able to be a married couple. It's been rather interesting spending some time in a foreign country. Our flights were long but good. Dave took me on my first trip this past weekend. We had so  much fun that I wanted to share it with you all. I'm sure South Korea isn't on your bucket list, so here's some of the fun you can have if you ever do stop by.

     Our first stop was the Imjingak. It's located 7KM (4.3 miles) from the "Demilitarized Zone" (DMZ). Imjingak has become the representative for unification and a safe tourist spot.

     This is a picture of the "Bell of Peace". It weights 21 tons and was made with the desire for peace and unification. It sees over 2 million visitors a year.

     As Dave and I were leaving the bell a group of women stopped us. I know very little Korean, and these women wanted to get a picture made with me. They were so cute. So here's the picture.

     I was feeling happy and decided to speak my first Korean. I've always heard that they will appreciate your efforts even if you are a little off. After I spoke one of the ladies said, "No, no we are Chinese."

FAIL

     If you will look behind us in the previous picture you will see that there's a large deck you can go up to view the land. Here are some pictures atop that deck.

     Behind Dave and me in this first picture is the "Bridge of Freedom" North Korea returned 12,773 POW there in 1953.


Behind me here are some rice fields. Theses things are everywhere in the rural parts of South Korea.


Imjingak also housed a lot of military equipment used in Korea.



Our next stop was the Dorasan Station. This train station was build in the hopes that the two countries would not be divided forever. You can go buy a ticket into North Korea here even though you cannot actually go into North Korea. President Bush visited here on February 20th, 2002.






This last picture reads, "Not the last station from the South, but the first station toward the North.


1 comment: